1 hr 10 mins
I am on a mission to find the PERFECT Steak Soup. A rich brown broth and tons of flavor. Let's see if this one will make the cut. Original recipe from Cook's Illustrated and adjusted availability and our tastes. It's pretty darn close but still is not quite what I'm wanting. But it is good enough to make again.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb sirloin tip steak, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb cremini mushroom, stems trimmed, caps wiped clean and quartered
- 1 large onion, chopped medium (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced (about 1 tsp.)
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 4 cups beef broth (see note above)
- 1 3/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 2 medium celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 -10 ounce frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin (powdered)
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- table salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1Combine beef and soy sauce in medium bowl; set aside for 15 minutes.
- 2Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add mushrooms and onion; cook, stirring frequently, until onion pieces are brown and dark bits form on pan bottom, 8 to 12 minutes. Transfer vegetables to bowl.
- 3Add beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid evaporates and meat starts to brown, 6 to 10 minutes. Add tomato paste and garlic; cook, stirring constantly, until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Add red wine, scraping bottom of pot with wooden spoon to loosen browned bits, and cook until syrupy, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 4Add beef broth, chicken broth, carrots, celery, bay leaf, and browned mushrooms and onion; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until vegetables and meat are tender, 25 to 30 minutes. While soup is simmering, sprinkle gelatin over cold water and let stand.
- 5When soup is finished, turn off heat. Remove bay leaf. Add gelatin mixture and stir until completely dissolved. Stir in parsley; adjust seasonings with salt and pepper, and serve.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef and Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (389 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 194.1
- Calories from Fat 77
- Total Fat 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 42.6 mg
- Sodium 816.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 17.4 g