Recipe by DrGaellon
My adaptation of a recipe found on Allrecipes.com to make it a little more adult. Serve with corn bread or biscuits (or pop some refrigerated biscuits on top before baking!). The cinnamon adds a subtle flavor you won't identify as such. You can also add some corn, if you like.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs 93% lean ground beef
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped (avoid sweet onions for this)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 slices fully-cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup molasses or 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 tablespoon prepared brown mustard (do NOT use yellow mustard)
- 1 (16 ounce) can boston baked pork and beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans or 1 (16 ounce) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (if using table salt, use 1/2 as much)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large, oven-safe skillet with a lid, over medium heat, brown beef. Add bell pepper, onion, and garlic and saute for 5 to 7 minutes until onions and peppers are soft.
- Add bacon, ketchup, tomato sauce, molasses, mustards, pork and beans, kidney beans, salt, pepper, cinnamon, and chili powder if using. Stir well.
- Cover and transfer to a 400F oven for 25-30 minutes. (If using biscuits on top, do NOT cover!).
- Alternatively, after step 1, transfer the contents of the skillet to a slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients and cook on high for 1-2 hours or low for 3-4 hours.