Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 hrs
A very delicious, easy, slow-cooked soup. Adapted from BHG
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean stewing beef
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 medium yellow squash, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine or 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking white rice
- In a frypan, let the oil get hot; cook meat (in batches if necessry) until browned on all sides; drain off fat.
- Add to a 4-6 quart slow-cooker: squash, carrots, onions, garlic, thyme, and basil.
- Place meat on top of vegetables.
- Pour in broth and wine Cover and cook on LOW for 7-10 hours.
- Add in spinach and rice; cover and cook 5-10 minutes or until rice is tender.