Little Bee's Note:
I got this recipe from another recipe site and although the base recipe was delicious I altered it according to my taste and added a few more spices. This is a great family meal that can be prepared in advance and frozen for a busy weeknight. It would also be a great dish to take to a potluck.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb dried penne pasta, cooked and drained
- 8 ounces lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 2 (6 ounce) cans italian tomato paste
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon instant beef bouillon
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, cheese.
- 1Preheat oven to 350° F.
- 2Cook beef and onion in large saucepan, stirring occasionally, until beef is no longer pink.
- 3Add water, tomato paste, wine, bouillon, and seasonings.
- 4Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes or until flavors are blended.
- 5Layer ingredients as follows in 13 x 9-inch baking dish sprayed with non stick cooking spray: 1/2 pasta, 1/2 sauce and 1/2 cheese.
- 6Repeat layers; cover.
- 7Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
- 8Season with salt.
- 9FOR FREEZE AHEAD: PREPARE as above; do not bake.
- 10Cover; freeze for up to 2 months.
- 11Thaw overnight in refrigerator.
- 12Preheat oven to 350° F.
- 13Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
- 14Season with salt.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef and Penne Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (312 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 514.6
- Calories from Fat 126
- Total Fat 14.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 54.2 mg
- Sodium 726.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.1 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 24.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: