1/1 Photo of Bechamel - Basic White Sauce
Formula for making a thin, medium and thick white sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Scald the milk with the onion, bay leaf and peppercorns.
- 2Cover and let infuse off heat for 10-15 minutes.
- 3In a heavy based saucepan, melt butter, whisk in flour and cook, stirring, until the flour is foaming but not browned- about 1 minute.
- 4Off heat, strain in the hot milk.
- 5Whisk well, then bring to a boil, whisking constantly until the sauce thickens.
- 6season with salt, pepper and nutmeg and leave to simmer slowly for 1-2 minutes.
- 7NOTE: This make what is called a "MEDIUM" Bechamel.
- 8For a "THIN" Bechamel use 2 tbs. butter and 2 tbs. flour.
- 9For a "THICK" Bechamel use 4 tbs. butter and 4 tbs. flour.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bechamel - Basic White Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (71 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 118.8
- Calories from Fat 79
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 26.6 mg
- Sodium 40.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 3.1 g