This was one of the first candy recipes I ever made. These candies are crystal clear and can be used as decorations for a Christmas tree or a window. Cooking and prep times are approximate, and don't include making your own molds if you wish to do that.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1To make your own molds from foil: Cut aluminum foil in desired shapes: stars, trees, etc. Grease foil lightly with vegetable oil. Fold up edges to make 1/2" sides. Seal corners with freezer tape to prevent leaks.
- 2You can also pour this candy onto a greased cookie sheet to make your own shapes. Score the candy while it's still warm (be careful not to burn your fingers) so you can break it on the score lines. I've even used mint containers as molds.
- 3To make the candy: In a 2-quart saucepan combine sugar, syrup, water and vinegar. Cook, stirring constantly until the sugar is dissolved. Continue cooking, without stirring, until it reaches the hard crack stage (300F degrees).
- 4Remove from the heat, stir in the flavoring and color. Allow the candy to cool SLIGHTLY. Pour the candy into prepared molds, about 1/8" deep. When firm, remove from the molds.
- 5If you wish to hang the finished candy on a string or ribbon: when the candy begins to set (before it hardens) use a skewer to make holes for stringing.
- 6If candy becomes too firm to pour and shape it, then remelt it over low heat. Be careful not to boil it.
- 7Tips for other color combinations: Use a toothpick to swirl food coloring through the uncolored candy after it's been poured into molds. Make molded candies of one color and dribble with a second color to get a "stained glass" effect. To store candy ornaments, wrap them in plastic wrap and store in a covered container at room temperature in a dry place. Keep them flat to prevent warping.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beautiful Stained-Glass Hard Candy
Serving Size: 1 (624 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1874.7
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 72.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 487.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 430.0 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: