Recipe by Chuck in Killbuck
Here's an old stand by for a nice bear dinner. I found this in my hand written recipe saves but I've also found something like it on the net so I'm not the only one who uses it. If ya like bear...give it a try.
Top Review by karen in tbay
I'm reluctant to eat bear but I always try something once and this turned out fab. A friend had given us a small bear roast which I sliced very thin and browned first, then removed so I could carmelize the onions then everything back into the pot and it simmered a few hours due to busy schedules. My girls don't like mushrooms but they enjoyed the meat and sauce. My hubby and I loved it and so did my husband's co-workers.
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs bear steak (cut in thin strips)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, cut into sliced rings
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms (drain & reserve liquid)
- 3⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 2 -3 pinches minced garlic, to taste
- hot cooked rice, as much as you like
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut bear steak into thin strips about finger width.
- In a cast iron skillet brown bear meat in oil, using high heat.
- Add onions.
- Saute until tender.
- Blend soup, sherry, liquid from mushrooms, and minced garlic.
- Pour over steak meat.
- Add mushrooms.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer approx 1 hour or until steak is tender.
- Serve over a nice plate of hot rice with a few splashes of soy sauce.