Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
A friend gave me this very simple recipe. I have yet to try it.
- 1 lb navy beans
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, cooked, drained, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- Soak beans overnight.
- The next day -
- Cook bacon until crisp. Dry with paper towels. Slice into small pieces. Set aside.
- Put 1/2 cup of beans aside. Put the rest of the beans in a pot of fresh water with the onion, carrot, and celery.
- Put the half cup of beans in the blender for 30-60 seconds. Put in pot with the rest of the mixture.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add bacon.
- Cook on medium heat for 1 hour 15 minutes, or until beans are soft.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- **If you want to make the soup a little thicker, you can use a manual potato masher to mash the beans before beginning to cook them (just as you put them into the pot of fresh water for cooking).