Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
I am not a fan of mayonnaise-based salads, although this recipe only uses three tablespoons of mayo and therefore passes the Cookgirl seal of approval. Mom cut this recipe out of a womens' magazine over twenty years ago for me. I've modified the salad over the years to make it healthier and tastier.
- 8 ounces small shell pasta (1 cup dry)
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar or 1⁄3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar or 1⁄2 tablespoon white sugar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (or 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon nut oil, such as walnut oil or 2 tablespoons hazelnut oi)
- 3 tablespoons good quality mayonnaise or 3 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt or 3 tablespoons soy mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt free italian seasoning (I recommend Homemade Italian Seasoning)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (NOT dried)
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 12 ounces fresh roasted corn (defrosted) or 12 ounces frozen corn (defrosted)
- 12 ounces red kidney beans, drained
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 medium celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sliced black olives (optional)
- Prepare shell macaroni. Drain. Rinse pasta under cold water to stop cooking process. Drain again and set aside.
- Combine the dressing ingredients, whisking well. Set aside.
- In large salad bowl, combine the pasta with the remaining salad ingredients.
- Toss salad dressing with the beans and vegetables.
- Cover and marinate at least 2 hours.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and olives if desired.
Nice flavour with home-made recipe#17718 tweaked to our liking - no dried thyme. I used gluten/corn free pasta (not as great in cold format), less organic apple cider vinegar instead of wine vinegar, for religious reasons, organic raw cane sugar, a good organic unhomoginised yogurt, sea salt, to taste, organic garlic clove, organic parsley, organic white onion, no corn, organic pinto beans as that is what I had available, organic carrots, no celery but it would be good, plus the rest of the ingredients minus the optional. Made for Veggie Swap.