Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
I haven't tried this recipe yet but plan on making it this winter- it sounds yummy! I think you could add some cooked,shredded chicken or cooked Italian sausage to it to make it more substantial.Serve with crusty bread and chilled white wine. Originally from a January/February 2009 "Tastes of Italia" magazine.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup diced prosciutto
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- 2 cups small shell pasta (macaroni,ditallini, small shells)
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil leaf
- salt and pepper, to taste
- olive oil, if desired
- parmesan cheese, grated, if desired
- In a large pot, combine olive oil,proscuitto,celery,carrot,onion,sage,oregano and garlic.
- Cook on medium 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add tomatoes,beans and broth; bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Add pasta; return to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until pasta is tender, 8 to 12 minutes.
- Stir in basil and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of cheese, if desired.