Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Wonderful weeknight supper from my favorite cooking magazine Cooking Light.
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon dark molasses
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans or 2 (15 ounce) cansother white beans, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candiced tomatoes with onion and garlic, undrained
- Cook bacon in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until crisp.
- Remove from pan, reserving 2 teaspoons dripping in pan.
- Add onions, chili powder, and mustard to drippings in pan, saute 3 minutes.
- Stir in bacon, water, and remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Partially mash the beans with a potato masher.
This is absolutely the best bean soup I have ever tasted. Hands down.
1/11/08 - This is an update on the review below. I have now made my 3rd batch of this soup and I learned that I should double this recipe. This is going into my "It's So Good" Cookbook! This will definitely be repeated often in my house! Bobtail DH and I LOVED this soup! There is nothing so good as a pot of soup on the stove when it is cold outside. This was quick and easy to prepare. I will definitely be sure I keep these ingredients on had. I added 3 more slices of bacon (for me, more bacon is always good) and only had plain diced tomatoes on hand, so I added some roasted garlic that I had in the freezer. We love the tomato based flavor with the sweet smokiness of the molasses. Delicious and great on a very cold winter day! Thanks Asha! Update: I sent the leftovers to my mom and she said this soup was delicious! So I am off to grocery store to get more beans and make another batch of this soup, per request of DH.