Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
My best dressing for Christmas and Thanksgiving
- 1⁄2 ounce turkey fat
- 4 onions (medium diced)
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 1 loaf sourdough bread
- 8 slices white bread (Perfect White Bread)
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon sage
- 1 turkey liver (*)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- one to two days before, cut bread into 1/2 inch cubes and put into large bowl.
- Saute onions, and celery in turkey fat over medium heat until translucent.
- Add herbs, salt, and pepper to bread and toss.
- Saute liver (in separate pan) lightly, until slightly firm*.
- Add onions and celery to bowl and toss again.
- Sprinkle in water until moist, but not wet.
- Set aside 1 cup of dressing.
- Cut liver into small bits and add to the 1 cup of dressing*.
- Use the main dressing for the main cavity of the bird, put what does not fit into a casserole to cook for all the dressing lovers.
- Put the liver dressing into the neck cavity of the bird, and fold skin under securing with a skewer. In our house we call this "The Neck Dressing", and we all know what that means -- we are all as passionate about that as we are about the rutabagas, some love it, some hate it.*.