Recipe by Aggiezoey
I was skeptical of the flavors in this recipe, but the dish is fantastic! I got this recipe is from the Dec/Jan 2006 Light and Tasty Mag (submitted by Judith Kin, Madisonville, TN). I made a few changes, but overall the recipe is hers. I can't take credit for it. Thanks Judith!!
Top Review by CP Mom4
Not for us. We did not care for the combination of sweet & spicy flavors mixed with the (way too) creamy grits. The flavor of the grits was good, but not with the tangy(?) BBQ sauce.
- 473.18 ml water
- 236.59 ml half & half light cream
- 14.78 ml butter
- 2.46 ml garlic powder
- 177.44 ml quick-cooking grits
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine (more cloves if you love garlic)
- 453.59 g uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 59.14 ml ketchup
- 14.79 ml honey
- 9.85 ml lemon juice
- 4.92 ml hot sauce (I used more)
- 236.59 ml shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water, half and half, 1 teaspoon butter, salt, pepper to a low boil. Add grits, reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 5-7 minutes until grits are thickened.
- Combine ketchup, honey, lemon juice, and hot pepper. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, saute onion in the rest of the butter until transulent. Add garlic and saute for 2 more minutes.
- Add shrimp and saute till pink. Be careful not to overcook or they'll be tough.
- When grits are thickend, add cheese to them. Taste and add salt, pepper if needed. If grits become to thick add a little water or milk.
- Add ketchup mixture to the shrimp and just heat through.
- Serve shrimp over grits.