Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is by far the best pulled pork recipe! It is made in the oven to ensure even temperature. If the temp goes above a certain level, the pork will become tough, which is why I do not use a crock pot for this recipe. I make a huge amount at once because this freezes extremely well :)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 -5 lbs fresh pork picnic, remove butchers twine if wrapped (bone out)
- orange juice, and
- light beer, in equal amounts, to cover the roast half way
- Remove excess moisture from picnic shoulder.
- Liberally apply the rub.
- Allow rub to set for 1-3 hours in the refrigerator, covered.
- Sear the shoulder on each side, to caramelize.
- **Be careful not to burn, b/c brown sugar has a lower melting point than white sugar.
- After searing all sides, place into baking dish or roasting pan, and cover half way up, with equal parts FRESH OJ and Lite Beer.
- Bake covered with foil, at 275 degrees for 4-5 hours, or until meat is falling apart. Let slightly cool for 20 minutes before shredding, so you don't scald yourself.
- You can use a fork to pluck at it, or put latex gloves on and hand shredd.
- Add your favorite BBQ-Sweet BAby rays is my fave.