BBQ Pulled Pork (Crock Pot)
photo by danmbaker
- Ready In:
- 7hrs 10mins
- 1⁄2 chopped onion
- 2 1⁄2 lbs boston pork butt
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 (18 ounce) bottle barbecue sauce (your preference)
- Slow cook Boston Butt and sliced Onion for 2 hrs, Crock Pot set to LOW, uninterrupted. Some people add brown sugar or other spices depending on preference.
- Hr 2- Hr 4: Periodically open and Scoop the broth that has been created from your meat over the top, ensuring the meat gets equal flavor and no part becomes dry/burnt. I choose to do so about every 20-30 minutes.
- Remove Butt, discard liquid broth. Return meat to Crock Pot and cover completely with choice of BBQ Sauce. Shop around to find what works best for you, I find that the accepted normal brands are nowhere near as flavorful as the ones that don't have tons of advertisements. Continue to cook on LOW for 2 hours.
- Remove meat and place on a plate or casserole dish. Using two forks, facing opposite directions, peel the meat apart into stringy sections by holding down with one fork and gently dabbing and peeling with the other. Continue until entire Butt is completely "pulled"-removing fatty deposits throughout. The result should be a beautiful dish of pulled pork.
- Return pulled meat to crock pot. Add more BBQ Sauce, the amount depending on your preference. Add salt/pepper prior to sauce if desired. Stir in sauce and continue to cook on LOW for another 1 hour-longer is ok also.
- Stir occasionally, adding sauce if needed.
- Remove meat, let cool for 5 minutes Serve on sandwich buns (Calise Kaiser Rolls are my personal favorite). Serve with a pickle on side and a starch.
- This recipe is designed for 2 people, or for 1 person to have a meal and a few more leftover sandwiches for lunch and/or dinner the next day. For larger groups, increase the ingredients as required.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!