Recipe by SusieQusie
An all in one side dish from the Basque Region in Northern Spain - creamy mashed potatoes topped with sauteed vegetables.
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup milk (approx)
- black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 small green sweet pepper, deseeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 2 small tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 2 ounces pimento stuffed olives, sliced
- 1 strip orange rind
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan, just cover with water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and cook for 12-15 minutes until just tender.
- Drain well then mash with a potato masher or fork until smooth.
- Add the milk, season with salt and pepper and beat well. Cover and keep warm.
- Heat the oil in large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, pepper and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Mix in the tomatoes, olives, orange peel, basil and wine, blend well and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions and bell pepper are just tender.
- Remove the orange peel and adjust the seasoning.
- To serve - place the potatoes in a shallow serving bowl, spoon vegetables and juices over the top and garnish with parsley. Serve hot.