Mean's Basque Potatoes
photo by breezermom
- Ready In:
- 3 lbs red potatoes or 3 lbs yukon gold potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1⁄2 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- cayenne, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In large pan, melt butter in oil over moderate heat.
- Add garlic, parsley, thyme, rosemary, paprika and cayenne.
- Add potatoes and toss well.
- Roast, basting until potatoes are tender.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I love cooking with fresh herbs, Rosemary thrives in the desert, Thyme survives in partial shade, but parsley has a short life cycle in a hot climate. I would make this again even if I had to purchase the herbs. I used red skin potatoes and had to substitute sweet paprika. Basting with the garlic and herb butter-oil resulted in beautifully browned potatoes with the flavors of Rosemary, Thyme, and garlic enhanced by a bit of heat from the red pepper. Thanks Mean Chef!
A fabulously easy and scrumptious side dish. Nice crisped potatoes with a little kick of heat. Mine took almost an hour to bake. ***UPDATE*** These are so good, I had to comment again. This time I added some grated pecorino during the last 15 minutes of baking. It made a nice, crunchy topping for the potatoes.