Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
from Bon Appetit, June 2008 Stirring the fresh herbs into the hot rice preserves their flavor and releases their aroma.
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice (about 10 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons butter (1/4 stick)
- 2 cups sweet onions, chopped (such as Vidalia or Walla Walla)
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- Rinse rice under cold water until water runs clear; set aside.
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions; sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add rice, 2 1/2 cups water, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 10 minutes. Stir in herbs.
- Season with pepper and more salt, if desired.
- Transfer to bowl and serve.