Basmati Rice - Indian Style
photo by ecstasy_eyes
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- Place rice into a bowl with enough water to cover. Set aside to soak for 20 minutes. DO NOT skip this step, its very important.
- Heat the oil in a large pot or saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, cloves, and cumin seed.
- Cook and stir for about a minute, then add the onion to the pot.
- Saute the onion until a rich golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the water from the rice, and stir into the pot.
- Cook and stir the rice for a few minutes, until lightly toasted.
- Add salt and water to the pot, and bring to a boil.
- Cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until all of the water has been absorbed.
- Let stand for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork before serving.
- Remove the pods, cloves, cinnamon stick before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
WOW! For the past 12 or so years I have Ventured down to Indian Palace here in Tulsa, occasionally to grab a meal. Every time I'm there I can't get enough of the rice! I can't tell you just how good it is! It's almost like a butter flavor...but you can't quite put your finger on it. I always get some to go...and can just eat it as is. This recipe IS THAT RICE! WOW! Thank you SO much for this! I can literally make this rice at home now! I made a Chicken & Chickpea Marsala last night, and this RICE may have been the best part of the entire meal. This rice blends here perfectly with just about ALL Indian spices, and compliments the flavors! There should be a button for 10 stars!
I put it in my rice cooker after toasting the rice - great flavors but it was a little more watery than I would have liked. Next time I will reduce the water a bit. Also added diced carrots to the rice cooker and frozen peas at the end to make it more like the rice we get at our local Indian restaurant.
Awesome Recipe. BUT what the hell is wrong with this site or article. if you try to convert the measurements to The Universal Metric System it tells me to add 290 ml of basmati rice? 200 ml? really oh ok me just measure this solid in liquid weight because that makes sense. And lets say that I should further convert it because i dare to use a universal measuring system. it comes with 250 g of rice for 5 people. What is this a meal for ants? so yeah not helpful at all.