Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Do not buy it in those tiny, fancy boxes.
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice
- kosher salt, if desired (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup dried onion flakes, toasted in a little
- oil, in a medium hot frying pan
- 1⁄4 cup toasted slivered almonds, pan-toasted in a little
- 1⁄4 cup toasted cashew nuts, pan-toasted in a little
- 1⁄4 cup currants or 1⁄4 cup raisins
- silver aluminum foil
Crisp Fried Okra(use 1/2 cup for rice)
- 1⁄4 lb okra
- 5 tablespoons light vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Wash the basmati rice thoroughly in several changes of water. Place the rice in a bowl. Add enough water to cover it by at least 1 1/2 inches. Let the rice soak for 1/2 hour. Drain the rice and reserve.
- While the rice is soaking, bring 12 cups of salted water in a deep pot to a boil. Add the drained rice, stir, and bring to a second boil. Cook the rice for exactly 4 minutes. Drain the rice and lightly pack it into a 2-quart greased bowl. Invert on an attractive platter. Lightly press around the rice to shape it into a dome.
- Decorate the rice dome with any or all of the garnishes. To adorn with silver foil, first peel off the top layer of paper. Lift the bottom sheet, with the silver foil still attached to it, and invert it over the rice at the center. Gently lift away the paper.
- CRISP FRIED OKRA:.
- Wash the okra and wipe dry. Trim both ends and slice into very thin (1/8-inh to 3/16-inch rounds). Heat the oil over high heat in a large frying pan. When it is very hot, add the okra in a single layer. Cook over medium heat, turning and tossing, until it is cooked and crispy brown, abot 20 minutes. Sprinkle with lemon juice, mix, remove the okra with a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels.