1 hr 10 mins
500 Best Comfort Food Recipes, by Johanna Burkhard
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, including juice
- 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1In a soup pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- 2Add in onion, celery, garlic, and basil; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened.
- 3In a food processor, puree tomatoes with juice; add to pot with stock and rice; season with sugar, salt, and pepper to taste.
- 4Bring to a boil; decrease heat, cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 5Stir in parsley.
- 6**To make a creamy soup, add 1/2 cup whipping cream along with the parsley.
- 7**If you have fresh basil, substitute 2 tablespoons of the chopped fresh basil for the dried basil and add along with the parsley.
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basil Tomato-Rice Soup
Serving Size: 1 (432 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 203.6
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 7.2 mg
- Sodium 363.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 8.8 g