Recipe by duonyte
Another great recipe by Stephanie O'Dea of the Year of Slow Cooking blog. I made some changes to the recipe based on my own experience and preferences. This is a delicious recipe with so many wonderful flavors. For a 4 quart slow cooker. I did not include the freezing time (my modification) in the preparation time.
Top Review by rpgaymer
This was a delicious stew. I used chile-stuffed olives and didn't add the feta until the very end. The sauce was perfect over couscous. I overcooked my chicken at 6 hours- I probably should've checked it after five hours. Still tasted great though!
- 907.18 g chicken thighs (I used drumsticks and thighs)
- 411.06 g canfire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 473.18 ml cooked chickpeas or 411.06 g can chickpeas
- 118.29 ml pitted green olives
- 59.14 ml fresh basil leaf, tightly packed
- 113.39-226.79 g feta cheese, crumbled
- cooked rice or couscous
Directions See How It's Made
- I use skin-on, bone-in chicken. I browned the chicken and froze it, and put it in a 4 quart slow cooker frozen. Stephanie used skinless boneless and just put it in the slow cooker.
- Add the entire can of tomatoes, the chickpeas (rinse and drain if using canned - I cook from dried), green olives, basil leaves, and feta cheese. (I found 4 ounces to be enough, she used 8 ounces).
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours. Mine was done without falling apart at 7 hours and I would test at 5 hours if using not-frozen chicken. Serve chicken and the copious juices over rice or couscous.