Recipe by Engrossed
From: "Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way" by Lorna Sass. "Stir-fries are ideal for quick meals, especially when you have leftover cooked barley--or any other sturdy grain." "To make prep quicker still, purchase the chicken already sliced for stir-fry."
Top Review by lolablitz
Really good, great new way to use barley. I used 2 chicken breasts and 1 1/4 cups of dry barley. I couldn't fit the barley in my pan (I need a wok!) so I mixed it with the sauce in a large bowl. I used half the red pepper flakes which was plenty and the kids liked it. I think I might increase the brown sugar a little next time and use the full amount of 5 spice. A healthy winner, thanks!
For the sauce
- 78.07 ml dry sherry
- 44.37 ml Japanese soy sauce, plus more if needed (shoyu or tamari)
- 29.58 ml seasoned rice vinegar (can use 2 tbsp plain rice vinegar plus 1/2 tsp white sugar)
- 14.79 ml Dijon mustard (whole-grain is nice)
- 14.79 ml fresh ginger, grated
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 14.79 ml toasted sesame oil
- 4.92 ml molasses or 4.92 ml dark brown sugar
- 2.46 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 1.23 ml ground star anise (optional) or 1.23 ml Chinese five spice powder (optional)
For the stir-fry
- 680.38 g boneless skinless chicken thighs or 680.38 g boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 bunch broccoli
- 14.79 ml peanut oil or 14.79 ml canola oil
- 226.79 g can water chestnuts, drained
- 946.36 ml cooked barley (can use a mix also) or 946.36 ml cooked short-grain brown rice (can use a mix also) or 946.36 ml cooked chinese black rice (can use a mix also) or 946.36 ml cooked colusari red rice (can use a mix also)
Directions See How It's Made
- First make the sauce:.
- In a bowl, combine the sherry, soy sauce, vinegar, mustard, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, molasses and red pepper flakes.
- Slice the chicken into thin strips along the grain and place them in a small bowl. Add 3 tablespoons of the sauce and toss the chicken to coat. Set aside.
- Cut the broccoli florets from the stalks. Reserve the stalks for another purpose. Cut the florets into small pieces about 1 1/2 inches across the top.
- Heat a large wok or skillet over high heat. Add the peanut oil and swirl to coat the surface. Add the broccoli and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the chicken, water chestnuts, cooked barley, and remaining sauce. Cook uncovered, stirring frequently, until the chicken is cooked 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in sesame seeds and scallion greens. Add more soy sauce, if needed.
- Chenin Blanc is the recommended wine to drink with this dish.
- Vegetarian Brown Rice and Tofu Stir-Fry:.
- Instead of chicken, use 1 pound Asian-style baked tofu, cut into cubes.
- Cook for only 1 minute before adding the sesame seeds.