Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs 30 mins
This can be made vegetarian by using olive oil and vegetable broth. Adapted from a recipe at http://community.livejournal.com/what_a_crock/790512.html
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 celery ribs, cut in 4-inch pieces
- 1 (15 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup barley, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Melt butter in large saucepan. Add onions and saute until soft and translucent, 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Place onions and garlic into slow cooker with celery, beef broth, chicken broth and barley. Cook on low 4-6 hours, until barley is tender.
- Stir in buttermilk and dill. Continue cooking until heated through, about 30 minutes. Remove and discard celery. Serve with additional dill sprinkled on top.