Wild Mushroom and Buttermilk Soup
photo by French Tart
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 15 dried wild mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth, boiling
- 4 tablespoons madeira wine
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 3 cups button mushrooms, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup shiitake mushroom, sliced (stems removed)
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- In a small bowl combine dried mushrooms, 1/4 cup broth and 2 tbs. of the Madeira. Let stand 20 minutes stirring occasionally. Drain off liquid and discard.
- Squeeze out excess liquid. Coarsely chop mushrooms. In a large saucepan melt butter. Add onion and cook until tender 2 to 3 minutes or until most liquid has evaporated. Stir in flour. Add 4 cups broth and pepper.
- Bring to boiling stirring constantly. Reduce heat simmer uncovered, 30 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove 2 cups soup mixture and puree in blender or food processor.
- Return to saucepan. Stir in buttermilk and remaining Madeira and heat through. Do not boil.
- Serve with hot, crusty bread.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Superb! What a delightful and full flavoured soup , and yet creamy too! I used cepes, chanterelles, trompettes de la mort and morels in this soup, as well as some field mushrooms. My broth was vegetable and had no added salt. I decided to garnish the soup with a floral herbal bouquet, and adorned it with lemon thyme flowers, loveage and thyme sprigs! Made for Photo Tag and submitted for May Flowers in the Photos Forum as well! Merci beaucoup encore Mike! FT:-)
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
WARNING: Make my recipes if you want, but I am no longer an active member and will not acknowledge reviews, photos or answer questions via z-mail. I find this site to be pretty useless without the forums. I can find recipes on a lot of different websites.