Recipe by Juenessa
This recipe comes from Barefoot Contessa Parties! 2001.
Top Review by dgisborne
I doubled the stuesel recipe and used a mixture of icing suugar and water for the topping as I didn't have any maple on hand and it turned out great. After 45 minutes in the oven a toothpick came out a little wet so I put it back in for 5 minutes when I probably should have taken it out as it turned out a little dry.
- 177.48 ml unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 354.88 ml granulated sugar
- 3 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 7.39 ml pure vanilla extract
- 295.73 ml sour cream
- 591.47 ml cake flour (not self-rising)
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml kosher salt
For the streusel
- 59.14 ml light brown sugar, packed
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 7.39 ml ground cinnamon
- 1.23 ml kosher salt
- 44.37 ml cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 177.44 ml chopped walnuts (optional)
For the glaze
- 118.29 ml confectioners' sugar
- 29.58 ml real maple syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.
- Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment for 4 to 5 minutes, until light. Add the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla and sour cream.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture to the batter until just combined.
- Finish stirring with a spatula to be sure the batter is completely mixed.
- For the streusel, place the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and butter in a bowl and pinch together with your fingers until it forms a crumble.
- Mix in the walnuts, if desired.
- Spoon half the batter into the pan and spread it out with a knife.
- Sprinkle with 3/4 cup streusel.
- Spoon the rest of the batter in the pan, spread it out, and scatter the remaining streusel on top.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the cake, streusel-side up, onto a serving plate.
- Whisk the confectioners' sugar and maple syrup together, adding a few drops of water if necessary, to make the glaze runny. Drizzle as much as you like over the cake with a fork or spoon.
- **Cook time does not include cooling the cake for 30 minutes on wire rack.