Earlier, I had posted Barefoot Contessa's Roasted Pepper and Goat Cheese Sandwiches after watching an episode of Ina Garten's show on the FoodNetwork. Now, I have finally tried the Fresh Pea Soup from that airing and found that I love it, as well. I prepared this with frozen peas, and while the original recipe did call for mint, I didn't have any on hand and omitted it. Pea soup may make some people's heads spin, but this is so good. Pairing with the flavorful Roasted Red Pepper Sandwich would be an incredible meal.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups leeks, white and light green parts chopped
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 5 cups fresh peas or 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen peas
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup creme fraiche
- 1⁄2 cup chives, chopped
- garlic-flavored croutons, for serving
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan, add the leeks and onion, and cook over medium-low heat for 5 to 10 minutes, until the onion is tender.
- Add the chicken stock, increase the heat to high, and bring to a boil.
- Add the peas and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until the peas are tender. (Frozen peas will take only 3 minutes.)
- Off the heat, add the salt, and pepper.
- *Puree the soup in batches: place 1 cup of soup in a blender, place the lid on top, and puree on low speed.
- With the blender still running, open the venthole in the lid and slowly add more soup until the blender is three-quarters full.
- Pour the soup into a large bowl and repeat until all the soup is pureed.
- Whisk in the creme fraiche and chives and taste for seasoning.
- Serve hot with garlic croutons.