1/2 Photos of Barefoot Contessa Cream of Fresh Tomato Soup
1 hr 20 mins
This is VERY delicious, wonderful comfort food on an early Fall day! I don't have a food mill, so used an immersion blender and then a colander for straining. I suppose a blender or food processor would work as well, using a colander for straining. This freezes well,(without adding the cream), thawed it out, heated, then added the cream. This is adapted from Barefoot Contessa, Back To Basics, I love Ina Garten! Hope you enjoy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red onions (2 onions)
- 2 carrots, unpeeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 4 lbs vine-ripened tomatoes, coarsely chopped (5 large)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup packed chopped fresh basil leaf, plus julienned basil leaves, for garnish
- 3 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup heavy cream or 3/4 cup half-and-half
- crouton, for garnish
- 1Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-low heat.
- 2Add the onions and carrots and saute for about 10 minutes, until very tender. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- 3Add the tomatoes, sugar, tomato paste, basil, chicken stock, salt, and pepper and stir well.
- 4Bring the soup to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 30 to 40 minutes, until the tomatoes are very tender.
- 5Add the cream to the soup and process it through a food mill into a bowl, discarding only the dry pulp that's left.
- 6Reheat the soup over low heat just until hot and serve with julienned basil leaves and/or croutons.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barefoot Contessa Cream of Fresh Tomato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (529 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 351.2
- Calories from Fat 215
- Total Fat 23.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 53.2 mg
- Sodium 1677.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 16.3 g
- Protein 8.6 g