1 hr 10 mins
Barb Witherspoon's Note:
I started making my own veggie burgers after getting "sticker shock" at the grocery store over the cost of meat. This recipe was developed using ideas from other veggie burger recipes as well as incorporating a few of my own. If you try this recipe, PLEASE review it! I'd love to hear feedback from those who made it as written as well as from those who changed it and have new ideas. We can make it a veggie burger forum!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup lentils, picked through and rinsed
- 1/4 cup pearl barley
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped (You can also use yellow or white, but the red onion gives additional color.)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 medium zucchini, grated, do not peel
- 1/4 cup quick oats, uncooked
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs (I made my own using Zaar Italian Breadcrumbs)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 1Put the lentils and barley in a saucepan with cold water to cover by about 2 inches.
- 2Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- 3Drain, and pour into a bowl to cool.
- 4Meanwhile, saute onion, garlic, grated carrot, and grated zucchini in olive oil till tender, about 5 minutes.
- 5Cook quick oats according to package directions.
- 6Combine lentil-barley mixture, vegetables, cooked oatmeal, and remaining ingredients.
- 7Scoop using 1/2 cup measuring cup, and place on baking sheet. (I use the quick-release foil to line the baking sheets).
- 8Shape into patties. (The mixture will be mushy.).
- 9Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- 10After the patties are baked, they can be frozen, fried like a regular hamburger, or baked to complete the cooking. (I have not tried to BBQ them, though.).
- 11Serve on buns with favorite toppings.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barb's Veggie Burgers
Serving Size: 1 (78 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 139.2
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 32.9 mg
- Sodium 226.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 5.7 g