Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I started making my own veggie burgers after getting "sticker shock" at the grocery store over the cost of meat. This recipe was developed using ideas from other veggie burger recipes as well as incorporating a few of my own. If you try this recipe, PLEASE review it! I'd love to hear feedback from those who made it as written as well as from those who changed it and have new ideas. We can make it a veggie burger forum!
- 1 cup lentils, picked through and rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped (You can also use yellow or white, but the red onion gives additional color.)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 medium zucchini, grated, do not peel
- 1⁄4 cup quick oats, uncooked
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs (I made my own using Zaar Italian Breadcrumbs)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- Put the lentils and barley in a saucepan with cold water to cover by about 2 inches.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Drain, and pour into a bowl to cool.
- Meanwhile, saute onion, garlic, grated carrot, and grated zucchini in olive oil till tender, about 5 minutes.
- Cook quick oats according to package directions.
- Combine lentil-barley mixture, vegetables, cooked oatmeal, and remaining ingredients.
- Scoop using 1/2 cup measuring cup, and place on baking sheet. (I use the quick-release foil to line the baking sheets).
- Shape into patties. (The mixture will be mushy.).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- After the patties are baked, they can be frozen, fried like a regular hamburger, or baked to complete the cooking. (I have not tried to BBQ them, though.).
- Serve on buns with favorite toppings.