Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
This recipe came from a military wife almost 30 years ago (Thanks Elise!) and it couldn't be much easier. Simply combine all ingredients and cook for 3 hours, then shred the meat. Serve it on buns of your choice...and then sit back and take in the compliments! Everyone loved this recipe, and I've used it at fund raising events with great success! Excellent with potato salad and coleslaw.
- 3 lbs beef chuck roast
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 0.333 (10 fluid ounce) bottle Worcestershire sauce
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Place roast in a Dutch oven, and sprinkle with chopped onions. Cover with tomatoes, water, sugar and Worcestershire sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium heat with lid slightly ajar for 3 hours.
- Remove meat, and shred with 2 forks. Discard bones, fat and gristle. Place shredded meat back into sauce, and cook until liquid is reduced, 15 to 20 minutes.