This is just a plain and easy down-home cooking recipe that's so easy to put together. I have even made this recipe using cooked mashed potatoes on top, instead of the cornbread mix, and baked this in a deep dish pie plate, instead of a square baking dish, all the seasonings can be adjusted to suit taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic, to taste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/3 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 -3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (10 ounce) package cornbread mix (or 1 recipe cornbread batter)
- 1Set the oven to 425 degrees.
- 2Grease a 9-inch square baking dish.
- 3In a large skillet, brown the ground beef with the garlic and onions; drain fat.
- 4Add in all the remaining ingredients (except to cornbread mix); simmer the mixture for about 20-25 minutes.
- 5Transfer to a prepared baking dish.
- 6Meanwhile, prepare the cornbread mix according to package directions; spoon over the meat/veggie mix in the pan;spread evenly.
- 7Bake for 15 minutes, or until the cornbread topping is golden brown-- yummy!
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barbecued Beef Pie With Cornbread Topping
Serving Size: 1 (325 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 475.8
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 74.6 mg
- Sodium 1150.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 21.4 g
- Protein 27.7 g