Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is just a plain and easy down-home cooking recipe that's so easy to put together. I have even made this recipe using cooked mashed potatoes on top, instead of the cornbread mix, and baked this in a deep dish pie plate, instead of a square baking dish, all the seasonings can be adjusted to suit taste.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic, to taste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 -3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (10 ounce) package cornbread mix (or 1 recipe cornbread batter)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set the oven to 425 degrees.
- Grease a 9-inch square baking dish.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef with the garlic and onions; drain fat.
- Add in all the remaining ingredients (except to cornbread mix); simmer the mixture for about 20-25 minutes.
- Transfer to a prepared baking dish.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cornbread mix according to package directions; spoon over the meat/veggie mix in the pan;spread evenly.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the cornbread topping is golden brown-- yummy!