Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
Every time I make this brisket recipe my family raves how delicious it tastes. The meat is tender enough to be cut with a fork. Even my very young children eat it! Perfect for leftovers!
- In roasting pan, spread garlic and onion.
- Place brisket on top.
- Mix all other ingredients in bowl.
- Pour over brisket.
- Brisket is most tender if it cooks while covered in the gravy.
- Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees F until tender.
- Cook approximately 1 1/2 hours for 1-2 pounds, 2 1/2 hours for 3-4 pounds, 3 1/2 hours for 5-6 pounds, or 4 1/2 hours for 8-9 pounds.
- Once cooked, remove meat from pan and refrigerate in separate container from gravy.
- Pour gravy in jars so the next day you can skim off the fat.
- The next day slice meat in thin strips.
- Place meat in pan or casserole dish.
- Cover meat with gravy and warm in oven or on top of stove.
As many others, I cooked this in the crock pot (half done day 1 and the other half on day 2.) You will need to check for tenderness to determine when yours is done. Mine took a whole lot longer than the recipe called for and was still firm. Nevertheless, both hubby and I enjoyed this. But, I will cut the garlic in half for the next go-round. It was just overkill - and I love garlic.
The sauce was very good, although over garlicky, and when drizzled over the meat and accompanying mashed potatoes just made the meal. You could easily use this recipe for other cuts of beef, such as chuck roast. The overnight chill of the sauce will allow you to remove all excess fat. (My brisket left almost zero fat in the sauce when cooled.)
The only reason I gave it less than 5 stars was the excess amount of garlic. (Remember, I do love garlic.)
Because of the short cooking time, I thank you! The sauce was so yummy but I guess because of the shorter cooking time it was not as tender as I would have liked.
Made this for a Superbowl party and it was a huge hit. I made mine in the crockpot on low for 8 hrs., then refrigerated overnight to make fat removal easier. Put back in the crockpot for a couple of hours on low. I did find the sauce quite thin, so I boiled on stove to reduce. Added a bit more bbq sauce.Thank you. I'm getting many requests for the recipe. A definite winner!