Cook1 hr 5 mins
This recipe comes from the 2008 Taste of Home cookbook, Baking Classics.
Make and share this Banana Split Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups bananas, ripe, mashed (about 4 medium bananas)
- 2 (8 ounce) cans crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 (10 ounce) jar red maraschino cherries, well drained, chopped
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F & grease two 9"x5" loaf pans.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening & sugar until light & fluffy, then add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the flour mixture, a little at a time, to the creamed mixture, alternately with the bananas & pineapple.
- Fold in the chocolate chips, cherries & nuts, then pour into the prepared loaf pans.
- Bake for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to a wire rack to cool completely.