Cook1 hr 5 mins
This recipe comes from the 2008 Taste of Home cookbook, Baking Classics.
Make and share this Banana Split Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups bananas, ripe, mashed (about 4 medium bananas)
- 2 (8 ounce) cans crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 (10 ounce) jar red maraschino cherries, well drained, chopped
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F & grease two 9"x5" loaf pans.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening & sugar until light & fluffy, then add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the flour mixture, a little at a time, to the creamed mixture, alternately with the bananas & pineapple.
- Fold in the chocolate chips, cherries & nuts, then pour into the prepared loaf pans.
- Bake for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to a wire rack to cool completely.
Delicious loaves. The dough was very silky. One of my two loaves "split" in the middle when I went to remove it from the pan, so it really does live up to its name! Lol! Thanks, Sydney Mike. Made for PRMR tag game.
Easy and quick to do. As I had no pineapple I used tinned, diced mango and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar. I actually used the batter and made one cake and 1 tray of muffins - so this recipe is generous and versatile. Made for Everyday is a Holiday.