Recipe by Mean Mary
This is being posted at Tinkerbell's request. I made this twice a month while I was working as a cook at a hospice facility in Mesa AZ. It is a wonderful way to use up over-ripe bananas
Top Review by **Tinkerbell**
Oh, this is SO good! I rarely use butterscotch chips, as they seem to overpower most recipes, but in this case they add the crunch and easily balance out the banana. In fact, the chips were my favorite part! I'd love to see this cake made into muffins with the chips stirred right into the batter so I could get one in every bite! :) The cake is very moist, with a delicious banana flavor throughout and the crunchy top and bottom is a unique idea. I'm usually a glaze or frosting kinda gal, but I took Mary's advice and just sprinkled powdered sugar on top. It was perfectly sweetened and I don't think even my sweet tooth would have loved it as much if it had been glazed. Thanks so much for posting your recipe, Mary!
- 1⁄2 cup butter, no substitutions please
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed banana (2-3 very ripe bananas)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces butterscotch chips
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour package of butterscotch chips into a medium bowl and combine with 1 teaspoon cinnamon so most of chips are coated. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter with sugar, then beat in eggs. Add mashed bananas, vanilla, and sour creame. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Gently incorporate dry ingredients into the banana mixture, stirring to blend.
- Heavily grease and lightly flour bundt pan. Sprinkle half of the cinnamon/chip mixture in bottom of bundt pan then gently pour cake batter over top of the chips. Sprinkle the remaining chip mixture over top of cake. Bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick or cake tester comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes then remove from cake pan.
- This is a very moist cake and I never made a glaze or icing for it but you may lightly dust with powdered sugar, if desired.