Orange Crunch Cake from the Bubble Room
This is the recipe for the famous Orange Crunch Cake from the Bubble Room in Captiva Island, Florida. It has developed quite a cult following. We love it. I hope you do, too. The added bonus-it's pretty easy to put together.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (actual recipe) or 1/2 cup slivered almonds (actual recipe)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 Pillsbury Plus yellow cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1 pillsbury ready to spread vanilla frosting
- 1 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 3 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- : Combine crunch layer ingredients. Press 1/2 into each bottom of 2 greased and floured 8" or 9" pans.
- : In a large bowl, blend cake ingredients at low speed until moistened. Beat 2 mins at high speed. Pour into pans.
- : Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes Cool 10 minutes Remove from pans and cool completely.
- : In small bowl, mix frosting & topping. Fold in lemon & orange peels.
- : Place one layer, crunch side up, on plate. Spread with 1/2 cup frosting. Top with remaining layer, crunch side up. Spread top and sides with remaining frosting.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This definitely not the recipe for the actual cake! You use 2 Betty Crocker yellow box cakes use OJ instead of the water and 2 tablespoons orange extract 1 cup oil and 6 eggs...and use 3 cake pans well buttered with real butter then spray....the crunch mix is one package of crushed up regular graham crackers and one and a half cups brown sugar and one cup toasted almonds mix all together and divide up between the three pans press on the bottom lightly poor in the cake batter and bake accordingly ! The frosting is 1 pound of butter softened 16 ounces of Cream cheese one and a half boxes of confectionery sugar three drops of red food coloring and 1/2 tablespoon of yellow food coloring and 1 tablespoon of orange extract mix all together it will seem a little thin but hardens up . Remove cakes from pan when cooled place first cake crunch bottom down frosting place the next cake down frosting then the top and then cover the rest with the rest of the frosting thiny slice oranges keeping the Rinds on to hold together and decorate with them. Final stop heat up orange marmalade and drizzle all over beautiful and delicious !!2Replies 1
The Orange Crunch Cake At the Bubble room was absolutely the best cake I have ever had in my 40 years on this earth. Went there to try the Red Velvet cake that is rumored to be a favorite of Author Stephen King. Loved the Red Velvet cake, but the Orange Crunch Cake takes the GOLD! The frosting was a light orange, not off white like in the photo! Will try this recipie, but recommend the Bubble room hands down!2Replies 1
see 13 more