Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Very simple and GOOD! Read the ingredients, need I say more? This is a recipe adopted in a very wild zaar adoption in September 2006! I haven't made it yet but as soon as I do, I'll let everyone know!
For orange butter
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely grated fresh orange zest
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh orange juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups well-shaken buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large ripe banana
- 1⁄2 cup salted roasted macadamia nuts, chopped (2 1/2 oz)
- maple syrup
- Make orange butter:.
- Stir together all orange butter ingredients in a small bowl until combined well.
- Make pancakes:.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- Whisk together buttermilk, 2 tablespoons melted butter, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl until smooth. Add flour mixture and whisk until just combined.
- Cut banana into bits and fold into batter along with nuts. (Batter will be very thick.).
- Brush a 12-inch nonstick skillet with some of remaining tablespoon melted butter and heat over moderate heat until hot but not smoking. Working in batches of 3, pour 1/4 cup batter per pancake into hot skillet and cook until bubbles appear on surface and undersides are golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Flip pancakes with a spatula and cook until golden brown and cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Transfer to a large plate and loosely cover with foil to keep warm, then make more pancakes, brushing skillet with butter for each batch. Serve with orange butter.
I didn't make the orange butter, but followed the rest of the recipe exactly. We like banana pancakes anyway and enjoyed the nut crunch factor in these. DH and I ate four to five 4 inch pancakes each and still had 5 left over, so one recipe makes an ample amount for a Saturday breakfast w/ a few leftovers for Sunday. Someday I'll make the orange butter for breakfast w/ guests.
Wow, wow, wow. We really enjoyed these tasty treats. The buttermilk pancakes were tender, fluffy and full of flavor. Really enjoyed the soft tender banana with the constrasting crispy macadamia nuts. The combination of the orange butter and maple syrup took these pancakes over the top. Thank you for sharing a recipe that I will make again often. Kudos to you for making it into my Favorite Cookbook of 2014. Made for Spring Pac 2014
I was somewhat dissapointed with this recipe after reading all the positive reviews. The pancakes did not turn out very fluffy which is likely due to not enough baking soda/powder. I was expecting more of a tropical flavor, but was a little more like banana bread with the banana flavor overwhelming the nuts and the orange butter. I don't think these were worth the trouble so will likely not make them again.