Recipe by kmogirl2000
Your overripe bananas don't need to go to waste anymore. Everyone will go "bananas" for this sweet, delectable jam/sauce on everything from waffles to ice cream, crepes to cake filling. I've never done the full canning routine with this, since it's sealed in the jars while hot, but I suppose you could. Recipe from the Joy of Desserts website, adapted slightly for personal taste.
Top Review by shelteredcreature
This banana jam is divine! I did not have rum so I used one of my husband's 12oz, home-brewed pumpkin coffee stouts that I simmered down to about 3 tbsps. I only had 5 bananas, and only ended up with 1#5oz of peeled bananas so I used 1 cup each of dark and light brown sugars, 1 1/2 limes, added a vanilla bean, half tsp cinnamon, 2 pinches ground ginger, and 1 Tbsp of vanilla extract. The flavor was great and had a bit of malt from the beer. I want to try it with the rum as well, since Bananas Foster is one of my favorite desserts. I want to add a bit of semisweet chocolate to that version too, it would be an amazing cake or tart filling. This jam will make excellent pb&js and I can't wait to try it out! I highly recommend using really ripe bananas, they break down easily and make for a nice, smooth jam with some visible bits of banana. I did water bath can mine for 10 minutes, worked out great. Can't wait to try all kinds of variations of this winner :)
- 2 lbs ripe bananas
- 1 3⁄4 cups dark brown sugar
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 3 limes, juice of
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 dash ginger powder
- 6 tablespoons dark rum
Directions See How It's Made
- Thaw bananas if frozen. (I often store up my overripe bananas in a freezer bag in the freezer until I have enough to make something.).
- Peel bananas, and mash smooth.
- Mix water, lime juice, sugars, cinnamon, vanilla, ginger over medium heat and stir until thickened.
- Add mashed bananas and let cook 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add rum during the last few minutes of cooking.
- Place hot banana jam into sterilized jars. Place lids on and seal.