Top Review by RockChalkChick
YUM! I used the microwave method and it turned out perfect! I had to make some minor changes due to ingredients on hand, but it was just amazing! I only had over ripened bananas I was going to use for banana bread but I just had to try your recipe. I made sure they were mashed/pureed well and added them to the final custard right before spooning the custard into serving dishes. I bought Swedish ginger snaps that had a great lingering spice to them but I had used them in another recipe and only had a handful left. I considered making a crust, but I didn't have enough so I crushed them and sprinkled over each custard. I only had 1/2 cup of milk so I used fat free half and half. I also added a bit more rum for personal taste. And I had to use Bacardi Gold because I was out of dark rum. Whew! A lot of minor subs but I otherwise followed your measurements and it was fantastic and incredibly easy!
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 4 medium bananas, sliced
- 12 gingersnaps or 12 ginger crisps
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix sugar and cornstarch together.
- Pour milk into medium-size microwaveproof bowl.
- Whisk in sugar mixture until cornstarch dissolves.
- Microwave on high 4 minutes, stirring once. Whisk a little of the hot milk mixture into beaten egg; return to bowl.
- Sti r in rum.
- Microwave on high 1 to 2 minutes longer until custard thickens.
- Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Slice a layer of bananas into each of 4 individual dessert dishes.
- Add a layer of cookies and top with another layer of bananas.
- Pour custard over top bananas.
- Serve warm or chilled.
- Conventional method: Mix sugar and cornstarch in medium saucepan; stir in milk.
- Cook, over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture begins to boil.
- Whisk some of hot milk mixture into beaten egg; return to saucepan.
- Bring to boiling, cook 1 minute. Follow procedure above.