Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is adapted from Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House Cookbook.
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 large egg whites, beaten with 4 tsps water
- 3⁄4 cup milk
CREAM CAKE FILLING
- 1 tart apple, peeled, grated
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 large egg white, well beaten
- 2 sliced bananas
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour, baking powder and sift 3 times.
- Cream the butter and sugar thoroughly; add the egg yolks and whites that have been beaten with 4 tsps water until soft peaks form.
- Then alternate adding the flour and milk.
- Bake in two greased and floured 9" cake pans about 30-35 minutes.
- Leave in pans on wire rack about 10 minutes.
- Remove to rack to cool completely.
- To prepare CREAM CAKE FILLING: Peel and grate a tart apple; toss with lemon juice. Add 2 cups powdered sugar and 1 egg white that has been beaten until stiff peaks form.
- Spread some filling between cake layers and place one sliced banana between layers.
- Repeat with top layer of cake and remaining banana, sliced.