Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This was the surprise success of the weekend!! Developed for RSC #12.
- 1 (18 ounce) box reduced-sugar white cake mix, prepared with
- egg white, as directed
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- prepared whipped cream (made from 1 pint whipping cream, 1/4c Splenda sugar substitute & 1tsp vanilla extract)
- 2 pints fresh blueberries
- Prepare the cake as directed, using egg whites as directed. Bake in a 9x13" pan. May be made a day ahead. When ready to assemble trifle, cut cake into 1" cubes.
- Combine mashed bananas with mascarpone, cinnamon & nutmeg. Fold in whipped cream.
- In a trifle bowl (or similar), place enough cake cubes to cover the bottom. Make a layer of the banana-cream mixture using about 1/3 of it. Use about 1/3 of the blueberries to make the next layer. Repeat all layers two more times: cake/banana-cream mixture/blueberries.
- Serve immediately.
This was good, but it just didn't have the *wow* factor I was hoping for. I served mine in individual parfait glasses for a very pretty effect. This would also be tasty subbing strawberries for the blueberries! Thanks for the creation!