These are moist and yummy, not too sweet - perfect for breakfast or a light snack. Makes 12 muffins or 24 mini muffins.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (use 3/4 cup if your bananas are not ripe enough and kiwis are tart)
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat plain yogurt (plain or vanilla)
- 6 tablespoons skim milk (or buttermilk)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 3 ripe kiwi, chopped into small cubes
- Combine the first 6 ingredients (DRY) in a large mixing bowl; set aside.
- Mix yogurt, milk, oil, egg, vanilla and mashed bananas together in a smaller bowl until well-combined (WET).
- Add WET mixture to the DRY mixture, mix until just combined (DO NOT OVERMIX) - lumps are ok.
- Now stir in chopped kiwi gently; you may also add chopped nuts if you like.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 375°F or 180°C for 25-30mins (mini muffins take about 20mins).
- Cool in pan for 10mins, then remove and cool thoroughly on wire rack.