These are moist and yummy, not too sweet - perfect for breakfast or a light snack. Makes 12 muffins or 24 mini muffins.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (use 3/4 cup if your bananas are not ripe enough and kiwis are tart)
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat plain yogurt (plain or vanilla)
- 6 tablespoons skim milk (or buttermilk)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 3 ripe kiwi, chopped into small cubes
- Combine the first 6 ingredients (DRY) in a large mixing bowl; set aside.
- Mix yogurt, milk, oil, egg, vanilla and mashed bananas together in a smaller bowl until well-combined (WET).
- Add WET mixture to the DRY mixture, mix until just combined (DO NOT OVERMIX) - lumps are ok.
- Now stir in chopped kiwi gently; you may also add chopped nuts if you like.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 375°F or 180°C for 25-30mins (mini muffins take about 20mins).
- Cool in pan for 10mins, then remove and cool thoroughly on wire rack.
Amazing! For dietary reasons made these GF with Red Mill GF mix. Also substituted coconut sugar in place of the cane sugar. My GF family members are acclaiming these as the best GF muffins they have ever had!
These muffins were definitely moist and everything I expect in a muffin. I just don't love the kiwi in the muffin. I had some kiwi that was getting soft, which is why I picked out this recipe, hoping I would like it as much as the stuff I make out of the soft bananas. Unfortunately, it just wasn't my style.
Excellent muffins! Definitely not bland. Very moist and flavourful! I made as per recipe last time but now I am gluten free so I am going to try to modify it tonight. I'll let you know how it turns out.