Recipe by WiGal
I make this ahead of time so I can check meat carefully and serve with mashed potatoes that I also make ahead. The timing doesn't really fit for all day being gone. Eye of round is very lean meat so the gravy is important. If butcher has a better cut of meat like sirloin I buy that instead.
Top Review by AZPARZYCH
This is a GREAT roast recipe! I loved that it came out nice and tender, but it didn't fall apart and turn into shredded beef like a lot of crockpot roasts do. I left out the mushrooms for DH but otherwise followed the recipe using a 2 1/3 lb cross-rib roast. Made for Sept 2013 game win in Rookie Recipe Tag.
- 236.59 ml beef stock
- 3 onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 4.92 ml black pepper
- 4.92 ml onion powder
- 4.92 ml garlic powder
- 1587.57 g beef eye round (roast)
- 14.79 ml flour
- 7.39 ml flour
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 59.14 ml water, for deglazing
- 59.14 ml balsamic vinegar
- 2.46 ml dried rosemary
- 236.59 ml beef stock
- 0.29 ml salt (to taste)
- 29.58 ml flour, slurry
- 59.14 ml water, cold slurry
- 14.17 g dried shiitake mushroom (optional)
- 177.44 ml boiling water, for soaking
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium saucepan pour beef stock, bring to boil, keep boiling until reduced to about 1/2 cup guessing at 3 minutes as it really depends upon pan size and burner temperature. Add onion and garlic.
- Meanwhile, mix together black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder; rub onto roast.
- Sprinkle flour onto both sides of meat and pat into meat--recently saw that technique is called SPANKING the meat--lol!
- Heat olive oil in high sided pan at moderate temperature, sear meat all over for about 8 minutes-take your time as this is when you get luscious drippings.
- While meat is browning, line crockpot.
- Put meat into crockpot, deglaze pan (about 1 minute) that meat was in with 1/4 cup water, scrape up those yummy drippings, reserve in pan for next step.
- Pour reduced beef stock with onion and garlic, balsamic vinegar, and rosemary into deglazed liquid; pour over meat.
- Cover crockpot, cook on low. For 3.5 pound roast, it will be done in about 5 hours, and for 3.25 pound roast it will take about 4 hours and 50 minutes. After removing meat, cover with foil and let rest while making gravy.
- If using shitake--About 15 minutes before removing roast, soak mushrooms in boiling water for 30 minutes, drain and discard liquid.
- Take liquid with onion from crockpot, and pour into large skillet, add the other cup beef stock, bring to boil, boil about 5 minutes, make slurry of flour and cold water, reduce burner to moderate temperature, stir slurry into hot liquid, and stir until lumps are out, strain if needed. Taste for salt.
- Put reserved mushrooms into gravy.
- Slice meat thin and add to gravy.
- If you are like me and make this ahead, I take it out of fridge about an hour beforehand, let it set at least 30 minutes to get to room temperature, then I add more beef stock to it as reheat it and am guessing at amount as I have not measured it.