Orange marmalade gives these cukes a whole new twist on B&B pickles. I've spent many hours coming up with this sweet, but sour delght.
- 7 cucumbers (slim sized or pickling size)
- 3 medium sweet onions (sliced thin)
- 1 green bell pepper (sliced thin)
- 1 red bell pepper (sliced thin)
- 1⁄4 cup kosher salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups white vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 4 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Combine veggies in a large bowl, sprinkle with kosher salt then ice cubes, allow to cool in frigerator at least 3hours, 6-8 hours is even better.
- Drain and rinse veggies, set aside.
- Heat vinegar,sugar,mustard seed,marmalade,celery seedturmeric and dry mustard in a medium saucepan for aboout 5-6 min., just till heated.
- Pack drained veggies is quart jars, cover with heated vinegar solution,top with rings and lids, and keep in frig. for at least 3 days before eating.
- Or, process in hot water bath for 15 minute
- We prefer the frig. process as the cukes will keep crispy and fresh for up to one year.