Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Orange marmalade gives these cukes a whole new twist on B&B pickles. I've spent many hours coming up with this sweet, but sour delght.
- 7 cucumbers (slim sized or pickling size)
- 3 medium sweet onions (sliced thin)
- 1 green bell pepper (sliced thin)
- 1 red bell pepper (sliced thin)
- 1⁄4 cup kosher salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups white vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 4 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Combine veggies in a large bowl, sprinkle with kosher salt then ice cubes, allow to cool in frigerator at least 3hours, 6-8 hours is even better.
- Drain and rinse veggies, set aside.
- Heat vinegar,sugar,mustard seed,marmalade,celery seedturmeric and dry mustard in a medium saucepan for aboout 5-6 min., just till heated.
- Pack drained veggies is quart jars, cover with heated vinegar solution,top with rings and lids, and keep in frig. for at least 3 days before eating.
- Or, process in hot water bath for 15 minute
- We prefer the frig. process as the cukes will keep crispy and fresh for up to one year.
These are delish.....You can use the peppers and onion in mac salad.
Now that's a pickle! Was crisp and cold with just the right amount of tang to it. The marmalade was not something I would have thought of on my own. It really enhanced the flavor experience.