Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This was a great little dish from our local newspaper
- 3⁄4 cup long grain rice
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese, divided (about 4 oz)
- 4 cups sliced fresh zucchini (1/4 inch thick)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons of fresh mint, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 4 egg whites, slightly beaten
- Cook rice according to dircetion on package - without salt and oil. Heat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl combined cooked rice and 1/2 cup feta cheese; mix well. Coat a 10 inch quiche dish or pie plate with cooking spray.
- Press the rice mixture into the sides and bottom of dish. Steam zucchini, covered, 5 minutes. Press zucchini gently between paper towels until barely moist. In a medium bowl, combine zucchini, remaining 1/2 cup feta and salt; mix. Spoon mixture evenly over rice. In a small bowl; combine mint, nutmeg and eggs and mix well with a fork or whisk. Pour over zucchini mixture.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Cut into wedges and serve.