Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
this is probably not at all traditional but it is way healthier and very tasty. easy and quick enough to throw together after work and it will use up some of the garden's bounty. i just eyeball this so all measurements are approximate. feel free to improvise. you can use more or less potato and zucchini, you just may need to add a bit more egg or flour to get it to come together nicely.
- 1 zucchini (large)
- 1 potato (large, peeled)
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 white onion (chopped)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- shred the potato and zucchini with a cheese grater, chop the onion. mix together with the salt and let sit for 10 min to draw out some of the liquid.
- drain the veggies well, give them a little squeeze. they don't have to be perfectly dry but do the best you can.
- mix in the remaining ingredients, preheat the oven to 425f and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. just greasing it wont work, they'll stick anyways.
- form the mix into little cakes about 1/2 inch thick by 2-3 inches around. bake for 10-15 min, flip and bake another 10-15 min or until crispy and browned on both sides.
- serve with sour cream with chopped green onion mixed inches.
Tasty and simple to make! I subbed Parmesan cheese for the cheddar, as I'm not a fan of low-fat cheeses (although parm is naturally low-fat---I guess I mean I don't like tampered with versions of cheeses meant to have a certain fat content?) Instead of dill, I used an Italian blend. The lemon pepper/jalapeno idea sounds nice, Incredibore---will try that next time. A keeper, Spiritusancto!
Great, simple recipe. I added 1 diced jalapeno and half a teaspoon of lemon pepper seasoning to mine. Served them with a poached egg on top. Unfortunately I had to pan fry mine because they were sticking in the oven. They are delicious! Thanks!
Delicious! Excellent recipe. I modified it to be gluten-free and dairy-free. Thank you for posting and sharing this recipe.