- 1⁄2 lb orzo pasta
- 6 large tomatoes, firm, ripe
- granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, rubbed
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 quart chicken broth, packed
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove the center pulp and seeds from the tomatoes, hollowing them out well.
- Lightly sprinkle into each tomato a little sugar, salt, pepper and oregano; place four cubes of mozzarella in each tomato.
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees. Melt the butter in a saucepan and saute the onion in it until soft; stir in the orzo, stirring well so each grain of pasta is coated.
- Pour in 2 cups of the chicken broth, stir well, and simmer until it is absorbed, adding more broth gradually until the orzo is about three quarters cooked; firmer than al dente.
- Blend in the Parmesan, stirring it in well. Spoon the orzo mixture into the hollowed tomatoes, filling them.
- Place the filled tomatoes in a casserole or baking dish with 1/2 cup of hot broth in the bottom of the dish.
- Bake, covered, for 15 minutes; remove the cover and cook an additional 10 minutes.