Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Make and share this Baked Tomatoes Stuffed With Orzo recipe from Food.com.
- Remove the center pulp and seeds from the tomatoes, hollowing them out well.
- Lightly sprinkle into each tomato a little sugar, salt, pepper and oregano; place four cubes of mozzarella in each tomato.
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees. Melt the butter in a saucepan and saute the onion in it until soft; stir in the orzo, stirring well so each grain of pasta is coated.
- Pour in 2 cups of the chicken broth, stir well, and simmer until it is absorbed, adding more broth gradually until the orzo is about three quarters cooked; firmer than al dente.
- Blend in the Parmesan, stirring it in well. Spoon the orzo mixture into the hollowed tomatoes, filling them.
- Place the filled tomatoes in a casserole or baking dish with 1/2 cup of hot broth in the bottom of the dish.
- Bake, covered, for 15 minutes; remove the cover and cook an additional 10 minutes.
I served these to company using heirloom tomatoes - excellent. I didn't chicken broth or cover when I baked them and they got a nice crusty and slightly browned top that was fabo! I think next time I will add the mozzarella to the orzo before stuffing.
These were so easy and they looked so fancy....I used the multi colored orzo and did mix up the cheese and oregano into the mixture like other reviewers did....we loved it!
I thought this was really good. I think if the spices (pepper, oregano) and the mozzarella were integrated into the orzo it would be better. Easy recipe though and the orzo is fantastic with the tomato. Yummy! One I'll try to make again before tomato season is over. Thanks for posting.