Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Florida's stawberry bake-off.
- 1 3⁄4 lbs fresh strawberries, sliced 1/4 inch thick (about 5 cups)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1⁄4 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- vanilla ice cream, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350F and lightly grease an 8×8-inch baking dish.
- Combine strawberries, 4 teaspoons flour, and 1⁄4 cup sugar and place in prepared dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining 1 cup flour, remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Add egg and milk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Spoon dough over strawberries by teaspoonfuls.
- Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream, if desired.
I love cobblers and this one was no exception. The berries made a nice chunky sauce and the crust was light tender and with the prefect amount of crumble to it. I did cut the recipe in half using egg beaters to get half an egg and baked in a 4x4 for the full time. Did serve without ice cream but would recommend adding a scoop of vanilla ice cream as it would push this yummy cobbler right over the top. This will be enjoyed again before the summer is out. Thanks for the post.
This is a fabulous 5 star dessert and not too sweet. I used a mixture of blueberries and strawberries and served with a drizzle of cream and it went down well on a blah-not-hot-at all summers day.