This is an almost effortless way to cook steak. Just bake it in the oven at a moderate tempearature with a little broth. This "downtown" cut emerges from the oven tender and juicy. From "Steak Lovers Cookbook" by William Rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 325.
- 2Place a large, ovenproof skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium-high heat.
- 3Pat the meat dry, and lightly coat it with oil on both sides.
- 4Place the meat in the hot pan and sear one side, until nicely browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 5Turn, season with salt and pepper, and sear the second side, about 2 minutes.
- 6Turn again, and season the second side.
- 7Pour the broth into the pan and bring it to a boil.
- 8Transfer the pan to the oven and cook, uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes for medium rare or 45 minutes for medium.
- 9Transfer the meat to a cutting board.
- 10Pour the broth into a small saucepan, and skim off the fat that rises to the surface.
- 11Combine the cornstarch and water in a small dish.
- 12Bring the broth to a boil over medium heat, and stir in the cornstarch mixture.
- 13Whisk until the broth thickens slightly.
- 14Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- 15Keep warm.
- 16Slice the meat into long strips across the grain, arrange on warm platter, and moisten the meat generously with gravy.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Steak with Pan Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (20 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 671.1
- Calories from Fat 474
- Total Fat 52.6 g
- Saturated Fat 20.0 g
- Cholesterol 169.6 mg
- Sodium 192.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 45.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: