Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the 1996 Collectors' Edition (Taste of Home) At times I make it with the ground beef, at other times I make it without. Either way, this one freezes well and is handy to have on hand.
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, with liquid cut up
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 lb ground beef, cooked and drained
- 12 ounces spaghetti, cooked and drained
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet sauté onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Add tomatoes, mushrooms, olives and oregano. Mix well. Add ground beef, if used, and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Place half of spaghetti in a greased 13x9x2 inch baking dish. Top with half the vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with 1 cup of the Cheddar Cheese. Repeat layers.
- Mix the soup and water until smooth, pour over casserole. Sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through.
My mother-in-law & I have been making this for years. It's great for potlucks and easy to change up according to what you have on hand. Made it tonight with ground chicken, extra cheese (we like it cheesy & added more water to soup to thin so that it spread more easily.
Pure comfort food at it's best! Very much like one I have made over the years and one I will make again. Other then adding less of the olives - only had a small quantity of ripe olives on hand - I made as posted. Quick and easy to prepare with excellent results. Served with a green salad and crusty bread this made for a great meal. Love those old fashioned dishes!
I made this last night and it was absolutely delicious! I used ground turkey instead of ground beef, and I left out the olives. Other than that I prepared as directed and will definitely be adding this to my favorite recipes!