Recipe by TOOLBELT DIVA
A Canadian Living hit with the Ontario ZAARians, at our Annual Appy-fest. While this recipe actually calls for mild Italian sausge I used Bajan-seasoning called Delish-Dish in a meatball stuffing. I doubt that many ZAARians have "Bajan Delish-Dish" in their pantry.To stay true to the original recipe, therefore, I shall post the recipe as it appears in Canadian Living.. I like the recipe because of the ease with which ingredients combine to produce an interestingly flavourful filling. Can be used as a main course, or appetiser.
Top Review by Gerry
AWESOME! Made this for one of the Father's Day appetizers - not only one of the best pasta appetizers I've ever tasted but a wonderful pasta main course served with Caesar salad as well. Used a well seasoned home made meat stuffing - not finding jumbo shells I used the large shells which are a real pain to be stuffing .. but stuff I did and the end result was so worth the effort. Will be sure to find those jumbo shells before the next long weekend. Agree with the party guests and as Connie said -beyond delicious!!
- 16 jumbo sized pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 sweet green pepper, finely diced
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage (casings removed)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups bottled strained tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425F (220C)
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta shells until tender, but firm; about 14 minutes. Drain and set aside for future use.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat; cook onion, green pepper and garlic until softened, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; stir in sausage, egg and parsley.,
- Place 1 heaping tbsp mixture in each of the shells. Arrange in greased, 8 inch glass baking dish.
- In a bowl, stir together tomatoes, oregano and salt Spoon over stuffed shells.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella and parmesan cheeses; cover and bake in 425F oven for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake further 10 minutes, or until cheese is golden and instant read, digital thermometer inserted in the centre of shell registers 160°F.